Applied Suicide Intervention Skills
ASIST is a two-day interactive workshop in suicide first aid. The ASIST method helps reduce suicidal feelings in those at risk and is a cost-effective way to help address the problem of suicide.
Although ASIST is widely used by healthcare providers, participants don’t need any formal training to attend the workshop—anyone 16 or older can learn and use the ASIST model.
Since its development in 1983, ASIST has received regular updates to reflect improvements in knowledge and practice, and over 1,000,000 people have taken the workshop. Studies show that the ASIST method helps reduce suicidal feelings in those at risk and is a cost-effective way to help address the problem of suicide.
Learning goals and objectives
Over the course of their two-day workshop, ASIST participants learn to:
- Understand the ways that personal and societal attitudes affect views on suicide and interventions
- Provide guidance and suicide first aid to a person at risk in ways that meet their individual safety needs
- Identify the key elements of an effective suicide safety plan and the actions required to implement it
- Appreciate the value of improving and integrating suicide prevention resources in the community at large
- Recognize other important aspects of suicide prevention including life-promotion and self-care
- Presentations and guidance from two LivingWorks registered trainers
- A scientifically proven intervention model
- Powerful audiovisual learning aids
- Group discussions
- Skills practice and development
- A balance of challenge and safety
ASIST helps to build regional networks of trained caregivers who can support each and use common terminology to approach suicide and safety.
The ASIST workshop is divided into five sections that follow a logical progression to gradually build comfort and understanding around suicide and suicide intervention.
Meet the Instructors
Our award winning experts have over 25 years of mental health training. We conveniently come to your location of choice and offer competitive rates plus discounts for bundled workshops.
Tamara has been helping create a suicide safer community for the last 17 years. Her many years of being an ASIST Trainer has lead her to achieving a consulting role with Living Works. Her passion for training helpers in our community has provided her with many opportunities to provide workplace training, specifically safeTALK and ASIST. Tamara and Lesley met while participating on the Suicide Prevention Community Council of Hamilton. Tamara and Lesley have a been ASIST trainers together for the past 7 years, sharing a commitment to helping others learn life assisting skills has enriched their friendship.
Tracy Miles has been working in the helping field for over 27 years. She is currently the owner of Energy Tap Counselling and Consultation Services. Tracy is also a trainer/facilitator in many workshops geared toward increasing awareness for mental health and addictions work. Tracy is exceptional and caring ASIST trainer.
Please fill out the form below so we can gather the necessary information to provide you the best workshop experience possible. Discounted pricing available for more multiple workshop bookings.